gmBasic is a code transformation tool that reads, interprets, and rewrites VB6/ASP/COM systems to one of the .NET languages (C# or VB.NET). Based on feedback from our clients and migration projects in the field, we are continuously improving gmBasic so as to help users more easily produce cleaner and more correct results. Most recently, this work changes how the tool is extended to perform custom advanced upgrade analysis and transformationstransformation solutions. This distribution, Version 40.03, includes several enhancements:
- Improves gmSL, gmAPI, and Migration Utility frameworks for integrating custom migration and reporting rules with the Upgrade Engine. Our scripting language (gmSL) and C#-based API (gmAPI) were extended to enable a new programming model: Migration Utilities. These technologies allow "deep" code analysis and refactoring and simpler integration with gmStudio and debugging with Visual Studio. Some of these deep migration features were implemented using the C-based gmNI (GM Native Interface) programming model. gmNI was an internal-use-only technology. gmNI has been replaced by C#/gmAPI solutions that may be modified by upgrade teams as needed.
- Several Migration Utilities, implemented in gmAPI/C#, are now part of the standard distribution:
- gmCodeStyle.exe implements the custom coding style transformations
- gmSharedFile.exe implements the shared file analysis and reporting that enables shared file consolidation
- gmGlobalIncludes.exe implements the global analysis of #include files in an ASP and directs migrating web sites with complex #include file dependencies
- gmWPFSubsystem.exe implements the migration of VB6 Forms layout and logic to XAML and WPF APIs