- At the top of the form is migration setting controls that is used to set overall preferences and information for the migration project.
- On the bottom are the migration unit selection controls that are used to find and select migration units to be added to your project.
Using the Create Migration Project Form
- Select the type of migration tasks you want to add.
At present, VBP tasks and Web tasks cannot be in the same Migration Project. If you are migrating an ASP web site that depends on VB6 codes, you must create two migration projects: one for the VB6 code and one for the ASP code, but assign them the same workspace. This allows them to be migrated in a cohesive and consistent manner. You will initially want to migrate the VB6 units before the ASP units so that .NET versions for the VB6 components are available to use in migrating your ASP codes. See the FMStocks sample for a demonstration of a mixed VB6/ASP migration.
- VBP Tasks (VBP files)
- Web Tasks (ASP files)
- Multi-Unit Tasks (e.g., a pre-built web site migration script)
- Select the type of migration units you want to look for.
- VBPs (*.VBP)
- VBPs and VBGs (*.VBP and *.VBG)
- Web Site Files (See the WebFileFilter in gmStudio.cfg)
- Translation Scripts (*.XML)
- Recon (*.*) this actually is a reporting tool used to inventory a directory tree.
- Use the FolderPicker to choose the directory you want to scan for migration unit(s)
- Click the [Scan ...] button to populate the [Select Migration Units] list.
- Select the desired unit(s) from the left-hand list.
Beware that the file scan can throw a very wide net, and it may include files that you do not intend to migrate. This is particularly true for web sites that contain many files. As you select migration units consider that your migration effort is a golden opportunity to do some housekeeping. Take your time and be sure to select only those files that you intend to migrate and maintain going forward.
- Click the [Add] button to add the selected units to the list on the right of the panel.
- Click [Save & Exit] to return to the Main Form.
You may remove selected items from the [Tasks in the Migration Project] list by selecting them and clicking [Remove].