Interface Description Files (IDFs)
The purpose of this exercise is to produce correct Interface Description Files (IDFs) for all the externals (libraries and components of .dll, *.ocx, *.tlb, or *.olb extension, for example) referenced by a group of well-formed VB6 projects (.vbp), as listed above for example.
It is assumed that all externals referenced by these projects are properly registered (and licensed, for third-party proprietary components) on the machine where these the projects (VBPs) build correctly.
The outputs of this exercise are the IDFs (*.xml files) listed in Step 8.
- Select the folder containing the VB projects (VB6 or ASP) you want to translate to .NET
- Press [Scan and Display] to get a list of projects
- Select the projects you want to remove from translation, if any, and press [Remove Selected]
Press [Next] when ready to move on with the selected list of projects (seven (7) in this case)
Step 3. Specify Target Output Parameters
In the Form below
- Enter a "Project Name" for your Translation Project
- Select a target "Language" (C# or VB.NET) for the translation
- Select the "Target IDE" (the version of Visual Studio .NET installed on your machine)
- Select a "COM Strategy" ("Stub Framework" by default)
- Select a "Project Folder" where the results (outputs) of the translation will be written
- Take all other default selections for "Batch Processing Options"
- Press [Next] when ready to move on with the actual translation
Step 4. View Upgrade Process