Infor-Med Corp. wanted to migrate its 1.8 million lines product PraxisEMR. We chose Great Migrations’ gmStudio after considering two different tools. We liked the conception and implementation of the tool the most, as it allowed us to decide how to migrate different sections of the product.
We started on late June 2020 with a test project which was successfully completed and served as a hand-on learning process.
Then (mid-July 2020) we received a pretty complete introductory course to the concepts and usage of gmStudio along with an almost fully translated project of our own code.
We froze development on that baseline code and, with the invaluable help from Mark Juras, we started the journey to transform the translations into correctly executing code.
We received prompt responses to our requests when shortcomings of the tool were found (we cannot call them errors or failures, they mostly related to VB6 idioms we use that were not solved by the general solutions in the tool).
By the end of October, we reached a point where the executables actually ran. We made the decision to stop using gmStudio regularly and start the final stage of the migration finishing the translations. (We did run yet another full translation in November with the latest release of gmStudio to see improvements).
By now (mid-March, 2021) the three applications that compose our product are about 90% complete and we expect to have them fully functional around May.
Some comments on using gmStudio:
I will just add here that gmStudio performed for us better than expected in regard to the overall process.