Great Migration offers free assessments and gmStudio POC/demonstrations for VB6/ASP/COM systems of any size and complexity (See Getting Started, Demo-Only Smart Start). This article describes how to prepare and share your content for one of these assessments.
Source Code Transfer Instructions
If you are able to share code with us, we offer detailed assessment and gmStudio POC/demonstration services using your code.
The most reliable way for you to share VB6/COM code with us is as follows:
- Gather VB6/COM codebase:
- VB6 source code and resource files of type: *.vbp, *.bas, *.cls, *.frm, *.frx, *.ctl, *.ctx, *.dsr, *.dsx, *.res (as applicable).
These code files must be organized into directories consistent with your standard VB6 build environment. If possible include only the VB6 code files that you want included in the assessment and the subsequent upgrade effort.
- COM binaries referenced by the *.vbp projects explicitly or through classes instantiated by name through statements like CreateObject. These COM binaries may include files of type: *.dll, *.ocx. *.tlb, *.exe (include any .NET assemblies if your VB6 code references them through interop). These files will typically have to be installed/licensed/registered properly for the VB6 to build.
- If available, you may share other documents such as build scripts, help files, coding standards, testing procedures, and other developer documentation.
- [Optional] Validate the source codebase by completing a build using the VB6 IDE. This is not a requirement, but it is a highly recommended step.
- Install the gmStudio Trial on the same machine and run the New Project Wizard.
This will prepare a gmStudio Project workspace folder containing supporting files (e.g. the COM API descriptions) and reports.
We can join for a Web Meeting while you do this task if necessary.
The gmStudio Trial may be downloaded through the downloads page after you have completed the Trial Request form and validated your email address.
Note: the gmStudio Trial License limits the size of systems that may produce Translated code, but it does not limit the size of systems that may be used for assessment preparation and metrics reporting.
- Zip the source directory and the gmStudio Project workspace folder.
We recommend you create two zip files:
* proj.zip containing the project workspace directory files, and
* src.zip containing the source directory files.
- Upload the resulting zip file(s) to a web folder we setup for you (e.g. OneDrive) or, you may upload your zip files to a folder (or a Virtual Machine) that you provision and we will fetch them from there.
- Prepare a directory with all the site pages, includes, and other supporting files as well as copies of any COM binaries that support the site. Ideally, you should only include files that are actively used in production.
- [Optional] Once the site/COM is ready, install the gmStudio Trial on the machine and contact us for assistance with using gmStudio to validate the content and generating supporting files.
- Zip the site/COM content and supporting files
- Upload the resulting zip file(s) to a web folder we setup for you (e.g. OneDrive) or, you may upload your zip files to a folder (or a Virtual Machine) at your end from where we can fetch them.
Metrics Report Transfer Instructions
If you are not able to share code with us, we offer some limited assessment by examining the reports generated by gmStudio from your code in your environment.
Assessment Metrics Gathering for a new project using the Wizard
The easiest way to gather metrics from a new source system is with gmStudio Upgrade Project Wizard. This Wizard appears by default when you run gmStudio after a fresh installation or it can be started from the File menu The wizard will take you through the steps of setting up a gmStudio project, running assessment translations, and generating assessment report files. The wizard will also let you send high level project information to us. In order to gather and send the detailed reports to us, complete the following steps:
- Run through the gmStudio new project wizard. After the wizard runs, your assessment files will be in the Reports folder and you will be taken to the gmStudio main form.
- Open the Reports Folder by clicking [View\Reports] on the main menu
- Zip up the files in the report folder using file compression tool
- Email the zip file to us or if you prefer we can use a secure transfer through your account on the Great Migrations web site
Assessment Metrics Gathering for an existing project
For gathering assessment metrics from an existing project.
- Add the VBPs to a gmStudio project and run the translations;
Note: gmStudio will be in Reporting Only Mode if the project size exceeds license limits
- Display the Reports tab
- click [Edit Patterns for Code scan] and remove any blanks before the comments (as shown in Figure 1)
- check the [All Tasks] option
- check the report items in the Reporting Controls list (as shown in Figure 1)
- click [Run Selected Reports]
- Open the reports folder by clicking [Open Reports Folder]
- Zip up the files in the folder using file compression tool
- Email the zip file or if you prefer we can arrange for a transfer a secure web folder.
gmStudio produces most reports as flat text files in tab-delimited format. The reports can be opened in a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel or loaded into a relational database for more in-depth analysis. Please contact us if you would like to learn more about either of these important topics.
The gmStudio reports are in the Reporting section of the gmStudio users guide.
Figure 1. Running Assessment Reports